Thursday, January 6, 2011

Three Days In A Row

I've been yoga-ing for 3 days now and damn, I'm sore. But the good kind of sore where I realize that there are actually scapular muscles in my back and perhaps I should use them more often. Instead of spending hours hunched over a computer, closing off my chest...



I should perhaps press them together, forcing my heart center forward so as to greet the world with better posture (and lets face it, better looking boobs).



My body is making the realization that without yoga, my muscle's memory only remembers all of it's bad habits from being held in bad yoga poses throughout the day:

Driving the car, pose. Sitting at the computer, pose. Pushing a giant cart of giant items around Costco, pose. Lifting 40 pounds of dog food into the trunk of my car, pose. You know what I'm talking about. You've done these and many other bad poses yourself.

If you're younger than me there's the ever so popular, holding the toddler on the hip, pose and my personal favorite from when my kids were infants, carrying a 20 lb kid that's resting in a car seat in the crook of my elbow, pose.

Hmm? Wonder what these are called in Sanskrit? Costco-hernianama pose? Mamashan-pain-in-the-assana pose?

The good news is that my muscles are remembering they they like to move in a more yogalicious manner. They enjoy arching into camel, holding my arms in space during Virabhadrasana or lowering me down to the mat in chatarunga. In the end, I think they appreciate the effort I'm finally putting forth.

And believe me - I appreciate that they still give it their all, even after being ignored and mistreated for so long.

Namaste,
Linda

** Images taken from "Gold Coast Heath and Fitness" and "Shannon Miller Lifestyle"

No comments: