Friday, July 1, 2011

Gotta Love How The Universe Works

I got up today, lit candles, pulled out my meditation cushion and immediately got annoyed.  I find that quieting my mind is easier if I'm been moving first or at least had some caffeine.  So I decided to jump on my treadmill and get cracking...

Naw.

I got on the Internet.  After reading a little about how the Democrats and Republicans can't agree on the right way to reduce our deficit (shocker), discovering that Melissa, a Real Housewife from New Jersey, allegedly had a lesbian affair when she was a teenager (so what?) and that Charlie Sheen is admitting to steroid use not while he was a professional baseball player, but when he played one in a movie (you call this winning, Chuck?), I remembered that I wanted to look up something about MS.

It turns out that Shemar Moore, the sexy star of one of my favorite shows, Criminal Minds, bikes not only for MS in general but specifically for his mother who unfortunately suffers from the disease.  I did a quick Google search and found an article about how many of the cast members  (Mandy Patinkin, Thomas Gibson, and Paget Brewster) and crew have created a Criminal Minds team that participates in 100 mile Bike MS events to raise money each year.


Turns out Shemar's mama and I have a lot in common.  Like not really dealing with the fact that we had this disease at first:
My mother’s been diagnosed for about 12 years now, and it’s been tough. It was tough on her physically and it was tough on both of us emotionally.  I think both of us were in denial in the beginning, so it took some time to kind of get out of the gate and really embrace that she had it. Then we could focus on what it was and how to combat it.
I'm guilty of this as well and will be happy to discuss this in a future blog post - just as soon as I figure out which of my neurotic buttons were so heavily pushed during the time of my diagnosis.  Hmm...Maybe someone from the BAU (the Behavioral Analysis Unit portrayed on the show, Criminal Minds) could analyze me?

Further along in the article it talks about how often times, folks with MS don't go to their doctors because they just assume every ache and pain is MS related (I'm definitely guilty of that as well).  Moore mentioned that there was a time when they thought his mom, Marilyn, was on the verge of losing her mobility.  Turns out it wasn't MS that was about to rob her of her gait, but hip degeneration that although may have been caused from the steroids she'd been taking to fight her MS, was easily remedied.  A hip replacement gave her her mobility back which freed her up to discover her love of yoga.
She loves yoga and swimming and visiting with friends...My mother used to go to a retreat called Kripalu, up in Lennox, Massachusetts. I think John Travolta and Woody Harrelson have been known to go there, where you spend a week, a month doing yoga.  My mother actually got her yoga teaching instructor’s license, so she’s fully committed and she loves it.  But physically, there are certain things she can and can’t do. Yoga really is a life-saver for her, though. It’s her meditation.  It’s her therapy. She’s got her mat at the house, and she sits with herself for an hour or two. Between that and swimming and being with her friends, that’s pretty much her routine.  She’s good.
Okay universe.  I got it.  Hitting the mat right now.

I'm not going swimming though.  One fear at a time, please.

No comments: