Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Motivation VS Inspiration

I came across this blog post yesterday and it set off some light bulbs in my mind.  Danielle LaPort's blog White Hot Truth was talking about the difference between Motivation and Inspiration in a way that I had never thought about before.  She gives some good examples to clarify her point of view and ends with the following:
Inspiration is a completely different force of creativity.
What is motivating you?
What is inspiring you?

What is pushing you?
What is pulling you?

Follow the pull.
It's the first step toward flying.
If I'm honest, I tend to get in front of the push and allow it to move me - usually because it's the right thing to do.  Floss.  Go to the gym. Check email messages.  Try to do crow the next time you're at yoga.

But what about the pull?  If I think about the last 5 days and some of the things that I've been pulled to do it's a kaleidoscope of activities:  Walking the dog. Wearing a scarf even when it's not cold.  A glass of wine.  Butternut Squash. Watching The Royal Tenebaums with my teenager.

This has gotten me thinking about what has possibly been pulling me only because I've tethered myself to it out of habit and not because it inspires me in anyway?  Like Facebook updates, for example.  Some people I gravitate towards because they're always posting a thought provoking link or a cool quote.  These people that I haven't seen or heard from in over 25 years would never be on my radar if it wasn't for facebook.  I feel grateful to facebook for giving me these connections and truly enjoy what they share with me.  But the other 75% of the information that I receive from the medium simply enters uninvited into my subconscious.  It's just chatter.  Shit I could care less about and just happen to glance at, that takes up space in my brain.  It makes me wonder: Does this excess information get in the way or worst yet, block whatever is trying to latch on and pull me closer to my truth?

Definitely something to ruminate on today. 

Interestingly - I'm feeling pulled to collage which I haven't done in more than 5 years.  To read.  To meditate.  To make my bed and to pour another cup of coffee.  I guess I'll start there and see what happens. 

What pulls you when you're on your yoga mat?  Do you know the difference between being pushed versus pulled toward a pose?  Toward a modification?  Toward movement?  Toward stillness? Toward the studio in general?  Do you come because you want to or because you have to?  Do you come out of guilt or because yoga is good for you?  Are you pushed to the yoga studio or pulled to Sol Yoga by forces beyond your control? 

Let us know when you figure it out.
Namaste,
Linda

No comments: